Everything your customers need for a smooth move
America is a country on the move. According to the 2016 US Census Bureau figures, 35.1-million Americans or 15.3-million households move every year. That’s about 11% of the total US population! With all that shuffling of goods, things happen. Bad things. Broken things. Inexplicable things. The blame game can get nasty. No move is immune from packing and handling mishaps. Anyone moving needs quality moving supplies.
Why do we move?
In 2017, US Census Bureau figures show:
- 43% for a housing-related reason, such as a new or better home or apartment, establishing own household.
- 9% for a family-related reason.
- 5% for an employment-related reason.
- 6% for some other reason.
Where do we move?
The American Moving and Storage Organization has compiled additional Census Bureau stats that show:
- 7% move within the same state.
- 4% cross state lines.
- .36% move out of the country.
When do we move?
According to MovingLabor.com:
- 80% of all moves occur between April and September.
- June, July and August are the busiest months.
- The beginning and end of each month has the greatest demand.
- Morning time slots are the most desired and first to get booked up.
- Weekdays are busy, but have less demand than weekends.
And Moving.com states that families with children tend to move during the summer months to avoid school year interruptions. College students and renters usually move in the early fall and late spring.
Who moves us?
- The traditional choice has been to hire a full-service moving company. According to the American Moving and Storage Organization, 47.8% of moving companies are small, employing fewer than 5 people. Only 8.5% employ 100 or more.
- Others opt for doing it themselves, renting a truck.
- A relatively new option is a combination of the two. A trailer is dropped off. Those moving have 2 days to load and secure the trailer. Then the company drives it to the new location. Another 2 days are provided to unload.
Bumps in the road
Some people hire full-service companies to box, transport and unload their possessions. Others prefer to let the pros do everything except fill and pack the actual boxes. Yet others are DIYers who handle every step, determined to save money.
However, when people pack their own boxes, shortcuts and inexperience can lead to damaged goods during transport. And placing things into the back of a pickup or a moving truck rental without adequate padding from moving blankets can lead to damages as well. No matter who’s involved, they need quality moving supplies to get the job done.
Even hiring professional movers to do it all is no guarantee that the people doing the relocating can sit back and relax without a care in the world. For example, federal law prohibits moving companies from transporting hazardous materials. These include:
- Pool chemicals
- Nail polish
- Liquid bleach
- Weed killer
- Propane tanks
Perishable or opened food stuffs can’t be taken on a moving truck, either. The same for plants. And then everybody has the extremely fragile items they really prefer to move themselves anyway.
The reality is that the person who is relocating usually becomes an active participant in the moving process.
That’s why it’s a smart move for retailers to stock moving supplies that cater to individuals as well as small, local moving companies. And we’re not just talking moving boxes and shipping tape!
Tools of the trade
Anyone moving needs the right tools. So do those who are called upon to do furniture restoration after a move. Petra is here to help. We are the exclusive distributor of a comprehensive line of heavy-duty, professional-grade moving equipment called Monster Trucks. Once your customers handle these products, they’ll never want to go back to the cheap stuff again. The line of Monster Trucks products includes:
- 4 styles of rugged hand trucks and 3 kinds of padded covers to go over top of hand trucks
- 3 kinds of 4-wheel wooden dollies with either rubber or carpeting on the end rails
- 4 tiers of 72″ x 80″ moving pads that range from economy to deluxe
- Sofa, loveseat and chair padded furniture covers
- Refrigerator and washer/dryer/range padded appliance covers
- Padded doorjamb protector that protect wall corners
- Queen/king-sized canvas mattress carrier
- Strapping, webbing and locking tie downs
- 12 packs of knitted gloves with PVC dots top and bottom for a surer grip
Consider offering many of these moving supplies for rent as well as for sale.
In addition to the Monster Trucks brand, Petra carries other, very helpful moving supplies that can save the day during the moving process.
- ProFlex Back Support Belts in 6 different sizes
- Reinforced plastic tarps ranging from 6 ft. by 8 ft. up to 16 ft. x 20 ft.
- Specially designed hand truck for moving appliances
- Forearm Fork Lift Moving Straps
- Self-stick furniture glides in a variety of sizes
- Disposable shoe covers that protect both shoes and floors from scuffs and marks
- Stretch wrap supplies
- Cord covers to prevent tripping over electrical cords strung across the floor
Despite the best precautions, scratches and scrapes happen. So, for after the move, Petra carries a wide selection of products for the end-user as well as furniture restoration specialists. Must-haves include Mohawk furniture touchup markers and furniture repair pencils, appliance brush-on paints and a vinyl and leather repair kit. Even those not affected by a move will find these products ideal for minimizing the day-to-day mishaps of life.
More than moving supplies needed for a smooth move
In addition to stocking quality products from Petra, consider providing helpful moving tips for DIYers. Research and then compile your own moving checklist with your company name at the top. A number of excellent online resources include MakeSpace, Two Men and a Truck, Updater, United Van Lines, Moving.com and Good Housekeeping.
Display your branded list(s) by your moving supplies. Add a big note that states free handout versions are available at the cash register. If you don’t, your carefully compiled display may disappear—and move across state lines!